Sunday Soup At Six - Chicken Noodle Soup

Last week was the inauguration of Sunday Soup at Six.  My Sister in Law gave us the idea and we loved it.  Since they were in town we had them over and made veggie soup with all kinds of things from our garden.  The food was delicious and the company was amazing.  We topped it off with cookies and ice cream.  I wish all Sundays could be like that.
But I didn't take any pictures because I didn't plan to blog about it.
Now I have decided this is going to be a thing I blog about.  So it's basically exactly what it sounds like.  Each Sunday we have soup and try to eat it at six.  We'll see how many different soups we'll try.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

And of course, here is the recipe.
1 c. Chopped Celery
3 thinly sliced leeks
1 c. chopped carrot
8 cups chicken broth*
1 T. minced fresh parsley (or 1 t. dried)
1 1/2 t. fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
1 t. fresh rosemary (or 1/4 t. dried)
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1/4 t. pepper
4 ounces wide noodles
1 c. diced cooked chicken

*To make the chicken and chicken broth get some broilers or chicken breasts (frozen is fine) and place in a large stock pot.  I usually get about 10 breasts (or 4 broilers) and 2 gallons of water.  I add about 2 T dried parsley and 1 T dried basil and some pepper and boil for an hour.  Remove the breasts and dice or shred them and freeze them (use within 3 months) then I strain the broth and freeze that as well.  It tastes WAY better than any boullion or canned broth.

Place celery, leeks, carrots, and 1 cup of broth in a large saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in remaining chicken broth, herbs, vinegar, and pepper.  Bring to a boil; add noodles.  Cook until noodles are tender (abt 10 minutes); stir in chicken.  Reduce heat and simmer until heated through.
My kids all say it's amazing!  They especially love the broth.

Labels: ,