Meeting Induced ADHD

I just diagnosed myself with this.  I also made it up.  I give you permission to do the same.
There's this thing about Mormons...
We believe in meetings, all that have been scheduled, all that are now scheduled.  And we believe that there will be scheduled many great and important meetings pertaining to the kingdom of God.
For the record, that's not a real Article of Faith.  But it should be.
So I went to a meeting tonight and generally I do pretty well.  After the first hour I get a little restless, but nothing a little doodling can't fix.
Of course by then, the person next to me asks what the speaker just said because she is, of course, taking copious notes.  I say, "sorry, I started thinking about something else he said." Because I'm too embarrassed to tell her that my mind had wandered a long time ago and by this time I was debating in my mind the merits of exposing my kids to more classic rock or to more folk songs and that it took a while for me to get there by way of canning, kale varieties, and home schooling.
By the time we were 1 hour 30 minutes into the meeting I was trying to conjure an excuse to call my husband or pretend my bladder was acting up and I needed a bathroom break.  Right about that time Igloo called me (thank you sweetie!!!) and I acted all urgent as I left to answer the call.
"Are you still in your meeting?"
"Yep.  They're still going."
"How much longer."
"It better be soon because I'm practicing dance steps in my seat."
Seriously folks.  I was pretty close to doing the electric slide just to keep myself from springing out of my chair yelling, "Freedom!!!!!"
It's not even that is was a bad meeting.  It was useful and pertinent.  I feel bad my legs were so jumpy, it was probably distracting.  But I cannot for the life of me understand how everyone else manages to sit perfectly still for two hours.  Tell me your secret!

Labels: