Busy Autumn Days

I have a list of excuses for not writing.  The the chickens died and I got really depressed.  Then we got new ones and I was making sure the coop was more predator resistant.  Last week was crazy busy!  Field trip to the zoo, pack meeting, doctor appointment, Jack turned 7(!!!), church Halloween party; this week had Halloween and Discovery Museum, and I've been busy reading and actually making some of the things I pin on Pinterest....I am ready for a break!  Of course this next week is voting, cleaning the church and then doing service fpr veterans day so I think that break will have to wait.
I am just about ready to be done with K12 and create my own curriculum.  I'm trying to hang in there until Jack finishes 2nd grade math (probably 6-8 more weeks) but we'll see.  I've talked with others about Saxon and Math U See and there's pros and cons for each.  I think we'll probably stick with Singapore.

I've said it before, homeschooling is not easy.  I never quite know what to do with my girls and feel like I'm neglecting them anytime I have to explain something.  So I've been looking more at Robinson Curriculum which is more of a self-taught approach.  I don't agree with everything about it, but I'm thinking I may need to adopt some of it.  And of course since I learn toward a classical approach I am in LOVE with all those classic books on cd-rom!!!  Bottom line, right now I'm spending too much time as a "learning coach" (that's what K12 calls the parents) and not enough time as a mother.

Why haven't I just pulled him out?  Well, I feel good about teaching math, science, and history, but language arts I really need help with.  I have no idea what he should know and I honestly can't afford to buy another curriculum right now.  Can he just read awesome books and have some grammar lessons (and how much of that?!)  Any 2nd/3rd grade teacher input is welcome!! (you know who you are)
Enough of me feeling insecure.  Here's some fun pictures of what we've been up to:
FIRE STATION FIELD TRIP



HEE HAW FARM AND CORNBELLY'S



ZOO TRIP (FOR FREE!!!!)


OH!  AND HERE'S OUR NEW CHICKENS!!!
Fortune and Glory
Hoping to get 2 more of the same breed, but we haven't seen any for sale.

Labels: