Where Does Baby Sleep?

If you're lucky enough to have a room devoted solely for your baby, move on. This is not the post you are looking for.
One of my friends is pregnant with #5 (yay!!!!) and trying to figure out the bedroom situation. I wanted to post about options and see what my creative readers have come up with for their homes.
In the beginning my babies sleep with me. Hubby takes the couch so he gets enough sleep for work and I feel less sleep deprived from "nursing all night" by having her close. Now, I know some people who keep that up long term (hopefully hubby moves back in sooner), and I know some people can't ever be in the same room as a baby. Do what works for you. We also know that having baby in our room past a certain point gets, um, invasive. So here's our solution:
During the day, the baby sleeps in my room in her pack n play (um, I don't think a crib would fit anywhere in my house). At night, we move the pack n play into the living room. It takes all of 3 minutes, baby sleeps longer and learns to put herself back to sleep, mom & dad get their room back, baby gets naps, and everyone is more well rested. yes, some nights I get tired of moving the bed, but it's worth it. It is so worth it. Once she can sleep without needing to eat then we'll move her into the girls room (which I think means we'll need to consolidate & sell a dresser. hmmmm)
Whenever I think about families feeling cramped, I think about pioneers and the homes as big as my living room that would fit 10 people. I'm not advocating that or anything, but they made it work. Kids shared beds and only had a handful of toys (if they were lucky). I think if we got over the showcase home mentality, our homes would be more functional (I'm telling myself that. I suffer severely from showcase home mentality!) If my neighbor can fit 10 people in 1200 sqft then I figure anyone can make their home work :)
So what about you? Have you had to get creative with sleeping arrangements? Please share for anyone else needing solutions.

Labels: ,