Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The 80/20 Rule

I already know I'm going to butcher this so please forgive me in advance.
In a management book my husband read, some guy figured out that in most businesses, 80% of their income came from 20% of the clientelle. So logically, the focus should be on meeting the needs of that 20% and not as much on the other 80%.
Hubby's adapted that to small space living (and I wish he were the one blogging about this, but I have yet to pursuade him on that. It's enough he's on the de-stuffing band wagon.)
He figures that 80% of the time, we only use 20% of the things we own and that those things should have the greatest prominence and space devoted to them. The rest should be stored away properly or gotten rid of. Now, this can create some fuzzy math because then the 20% ends up being 50% or more. But if I bring up stuff like that he glares at me. So I wont bring it up.
Now, finding the time to really implement this is the tricky part. But I like the idea. Especially in the kitchen.


  1. I'm reorganizing some things in my house right now because I finally got some bookshelves that I've really been needing/wanting. As I'm organizing I've been getting the urge to purge again. There's just SO much stuff. Most of it isn't used or needed. So, why do I have it???

    Anyway, reading your post today was quite timely.

  2. I've been resisting the urge to purge for a few weeks. Why am I waiting? Because if this is a boy, all that girl stuff is GONE! :)

  3. I LOVE purging! It has become one of my favorite activities : ) Because I have to agree, without being able to put a percentage on it, I do recognize we don't use probably more than half of what we stuff in this house. I feel so much more organized when I get rid of stuff!