My "Desert Island" Shelf

Sorry for the lack of blogging. My birthday was last week and I've been busy giving away more STUFF. It's such a wonderful feeling! I have a trash bag full of toddler toys/accessories, about 25 books, and 8 bowls. I can't believe I had 8 bowls I never used!

I've spent the last couple of days working on this and folks, it is HARD!
I own a lot of reference books and those probably take up more room than anything else. So they got their own shelf. Okay, so they've spilled over to others as well. There's too many and I read them all; don't judge me! Baby steps, right?

We still have lots of other shelves with plenty of books: photo's, reference, religious, library, music, & Dickens (yes, an entire shelf devoted to collectors edition Dickens!) that may or may not get whittled down. But here's my shelf:
(I left room to grow after my Tolkien books on purpose.)
The Giving Tree
The Complete Tightwad Gazzette (reference, I know, oh well.)
Return to Red Castle
Your Money or Your Life
Return from Tomorrow
The Blue Castle
Heal Your Body
The Alchemist
Book of a Thousand Days
Walden/Civil Disobedience
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Tao of Pooh
World Mythology
Crossroads of Freedom: Antietam
The Silmarillion
The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
(not shown because I'm reading it) Uncle Shelby's ABZ's

I asked myself the questions: have I read this in the last 2 years? Do I remember the story? Did someone give it to me & there's a emotional connection? For the last question, I kept those on another shelf as I try to make that decision.

So, what have I learned from this? That in all reality there are a handful of books I can't live without and none of them are pictured here because they're on our religious shelf. That made it much easier to whittle away at the rest of them. And from what's left - the books I read over and over - that I ultimately enjoy fun books more than others.

Many of our books are headed to the public library. A lot of them we bought because the library didn't carry them and we may read them once or twice more. Not enough to justify holding on to them anymore.

So what would you have on your shelf? Are you storing books you can live without?

Labels: , ,