Bountiful Baskets

If you live in Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Washington, or Idaho, you need to try out Bountiful Baskets. It's a food co-op that I was finally able to try last week after weeks of missed opportunities. You have to be quick because slots go FAST. I missed this week :( but I took a picture of the food I picked up last Saturday (it varies every week).
Here's what I got for $15: 2 celery stalks, a lot of bananas, a bag of yummy apples, oranges,
tomatoes, red potatoes, baby carrots, spinach, romaine, pineapple, blackberries, and swiss chard. The quality was what really got me. This is the stuff the grocery stores get only you know it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a few days. That makes a difference! We've been eating all of this instead of wasting half of it like we usually do with produce. I'm not sure if it's because of the fresh taste or what.... And I loved being surprised!
I've never eaten swiss chard before now. I tried it 3 ways: #1 I sauteed it with garlic, oil and lemon. Pretty good. The stalk is sweet and the leaf is bitter, sort of like spinach. It reminded me of asian food (maybe that was the garlic). #2 I ate it fresh in a salad with the romaine and spinach. I didn't even taste it. #3 I used it in place of spinach for a green smoothie. I know I wrote about those on facebook, like a year ago, but I should've written about them here. I love green smoothies!! Essentially you grab a handful of spinach (or in this case a couple of chard leaves peeled from the stalk) and put them in your blender. Add about 2 cups of oj and blend it up. The oj makes it so you don't taste the greens at all. Then add whatever fruit you want. I like bananas because they make it smooth. And fresh blueberries are incredible with it. Try it! It's one of the ways I sneak leafy greens into my kid's diets.

Labels: ,