Monday, July 28, 2008

Project Awesome Yard

I'm going to start recording my adventures in yard care/ gardening here. What the heck, maybe we'll all learn something. I've read about 6 different lawn care books and feel like I have a well rounded grasp of what is and isn't recommended.

So I'm going to start at step 1: soil analysis. Tomorrow I'm taking my soil into the county extension office to get it tested. It'll tell me what the pH is and what recommended nutrients I need to add (lime, sulphur, iron, etc.). I really can't do anything productive to my yard until I know more than just "I have heavy clay soil".

I'm practically giddy because I'm also planning on signing up to become a Master Gardener (permitting child care availability), I believe that's what my awesome gardening SIL is. I was planning on taking some landscaping classes from the college, but I'm going to give this a shot first. I'm really, really excited to do this!

I also bought beer for my lawn and will be applying it today. It helps decompose thatch which is a big problem in my lawn, apparently. If you have too much thatch, don't bother trying to water and fertilize, it keeps most of it from reaching the soil. We'll see if there's a noticeable difference. For those interested, I've just been using a hose attached sprayer to apply it. Oh, and before I did anything, I sprayed the lawn down with some liquid dish soap. It helps kill bugs and diseases, makes chemicals stick, and protects foliage.

5 comments:

  1. These posts are a little dangerous for me. I can just see myself trying to take inspiration from you. One of these days my neighbors are going to look out their windows and see me standing in the middle of my lawn with a bottle of dish soap in one hand and a beer can in the other, emptying both on my lawn. I'm going to blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you post pictures!

    I'm curious, have you ever looked into artificial grass? We're moving to a place that has been landscaped without grass which is quite unusual for where I live. (It's not like we're in the desert) I'm thinking about going with the artificial grass there next year even though here in Canada the prices for it are pretty dang high. However, it saves on water, you don't need any type of chemicals (or beer) ;), and it's practically maitenance free. Granted that definitely takes the fun away from those who like to make beautiful lawns, but it's safe for kids, "green" and for me, the less time spent on maintaining it the better.
    Let me know if you've looked into it and what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lechelle, make sure you're in your bathrobe with your hair in curlers. Somehow that completes the picture for me. :)
    We saw the artificial stuff at the home show and I was really impressed with it. However, it only lasts for about 15 years and then needs to be replaced. It's way too expensive to be cost effective for home owners. I heard it's smarter for sports fields.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to post pictures! Before, during, after. For me and for you. You'll be happy to see the progress.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the pictures. now I just have to get around to uploading them...

    ReplyDelete