Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Pessimist's Thanksgiving

My least favorite holiday after Valentines is Thanksgiving, and for similar reasons. We should reflect and be grateful every day, not just once a year. It cheapens it for me. But on Thanksgiving I get to see family, and I generally like that, so it beats Valentines. That and all the pies. I really do love pie. But mainly, I see Thanksgiving as a memorial day. As a day to remember the beginning of the near decimation of an entire people, over 90%. Every year I get told how pessimistic my view is and every year I smile at the history revisionists.

"It's supposed to be about feeling gratitude!"

"Then I guess I'm grateful I'm white."

Personally, nothing helps me remember the blessings I have, such as seeing the sun rise every morning, like reflecting on a genocide.

May your Thanksgiving be full of gluttony and indulgence! And maybe, just once, may you remember those who really sacrificed their lives for this country.

4 comments:

  1. My family (when I was a kiddo) would feed the homeless (via a restaurant called red hot chili peppers in Orem) for thanksgiving. We stopped when all the kids got married and moved out…Thanksgiving has never had the same meaning to me. Now we just get in the hustle and bustle of the holidays and forget what the day is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that reminds me, the food bank really needs turkey's here. "The Community Action Food Bank in Provo needs nearly 200 turkeys before Wednesday morning to provide the county's low-income families with something a little extra this Thanksgiving. At about a buck a pound, you can buy a mid-size turkey for less than the cost of a movie plus a theater Coke." http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/244251/

    We're going there this afternoon to donate our turkey. I encourage everyone to donate something to their local food bank instead of over eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I don't eat turkey anyway...and it's just the old man and myself. His employer gives him a turkey and it usually goes to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say that one year we were the recipients of a beautiful turkey when I was little.... left on our door step with TONS of groceries. Those kinds of memories are the ones that last. Thanks for posting that link!

    ReplyDelete