Friday, November 24, 2006

"Doorbusters"

I hate them. I got $100 off my new camera and a free pack of DVD+R's, but I think I'd rather pay the money next time. This was my first time shopping on "black Friday". I usually like to participate in Buy Nothing Day, and we're just not big shoppers in my family, but I saw the sales and thought, "why not? That's something I've wanted for months". But then I keep looking at ads and can't pass up all those great deals. Maybe it's just electronic stores (circuit city, best buy) that suck though. I was in and out of Sears in 15 minutes, and Office Max, later that day, even gave me a raincheck for the memory cards they sold out of. The sales at the craft stores weren't even worth going to.

But anyway, it felt like semi-controlled looting. Complete madness I tell you. I got the very last one of the camera hubby and I had been eyeing but they were out of everything else. I grabbed it and got in line and waited for 3 1/3 hours to check out. I felt like a freakin' communist.

Next year I'll leave the shopping to all you shoppers out there. I think I'll stick with my counter-culture anti-consumerism....after I finish buying the rest of the things off my list tomorrow, of course.

5 comments:

  1. I hear ya. When I'm home in UT over T-day, I'll go with my Dad to the doorbuster at Wal-mart because he likes going, but other than that I really don't like it. This year I ended up just working yesterday and that actually was really nice. No one on the metro, no one on the street, not that many people in the office...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Walmart during the 5-11 block when they had the special pricing, and, for the first time in my existence, we did not have to stand in a line at checkout. There was a lane wide open and ready for us, and this was at 10:30. I was shocked. And pleased that I could score Levis for $12 a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't wait 3 and a half hours in line for anything. Except to meet Jesus... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you, some kinda hippie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be sure to avoid TaiPan Trading Co., then. That place was a zoo today! Nothing like feeding a heavy-ish baby while forever waiting in line with all the rest of Salt Lake county!

    ReplyDelete